We are so in love, we could conquer the world. Premarital counseling? Why would we need that? Counseling is for people who are having issues. We’re not even married yet, so there’s no reason for that. Sound familiar? Contrary to stereotypical mindset, counseling is not just for problems. You wouldn’t apply for a job if you didn’t have some knowledge of how to perform the duties, and marriage is no different.
Benefits of Premarital Counseling
If people went into marriage with the expectation of ending in divorce, that might put a damper on the relationship and create hurdles from the get go. Obviously, you go into marriage believing you have found “the one” and it’s going to last forever. Inevitably, life happens, and depending on how you and your future spouse handle the curveballs, your marriage will grow stronger, or it will fall apart.
Therapy during your engagement covers many important aspects of a relationship. Some of the key points would include:
- Setting goals – This can be related to jobs, finances, social status, material possessions, etc.
- Communication – Learning how you both effectively give and receive information.
- Children – If you do or do not want children, how many children you want, and/or when to start trying.
- How you and your partner handle conflict – Learning to “fight fair.”
- Expectations – Male roles, female roles, household chores, work, stay at home, etc.
- Money management
Past experiences and family dynamics definitely play a role in the view of marriage. It is important for you and your future spouse to understand what your view is on marriage and address any differences at the get go.
Trust Your Future With Garrett Counseling
Studies have shown that couples who participate in premarital counseling are less likely to face divorce because they are better equipped going into their lifelong commitment. If you or someone you know is an engaged couple seeking premarital counseling, contact our skilled professionals at Garrett today. Virtual and in-person appointments are available. You’ve agreed to a lifetime with your love. Invest in your relationship to make it the best it can be, and call (256) 239-5662 today.