Starting therapy for any reason can be difficult. This is especially true when looking to overcome Post-Truamatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). You know you will have to face the events of your trauma. Although difficult, it is an important part of the healing process. PTSD counseling services have helped countless individuals work through the effects of trauma and go on to live happier and more peaceful lives.
Facts of PTSD
- An estimated 8 people out of 100 will develop PTSD during their lifetime
- Around 8 million people in the United States have PTSD
- The ratio of men to women developing PTSD is 4% of men to 10% of women
- Symptoms can begin anywhere from a month to years after the traumatic event
- People of all ages can experience PTSD, including children
- Symptoms of PTSD are not the same for everyone
- PTSD can occur in people who have experienced the trauma or those who have witnessed traumatic events
How Therapy for PTSD Improves Your Life
Counselors with specific training in PTSD play a vital role in treatment for your PTSD symptoms. Therapy is not one size fits all. With a variety of treatment methods to choose from, a counselor will assess your unique situation and develop a treatment plan specifically designed for you. A few of these approaches include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – Changing how an individual thinks about the traumatic event
- Exposure therapy – Teaching you how to take control of your thoughts and feelings
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing – Using sensory cues to process memories of your trauma.
You and your PTSD therapist will find the best approach for you.
PTSD Counseling Services with Garrett Counseling in Boaz, Jacksonville & Huntsville
Help is available for your post-traumatic stress disorder no matter how recent or how far in the past your trauma. Contact our PTSD therapists today by calling (256) 239-5662 or clicking here to contact us online. Start the journey to healing and a happier life today!