Grief is most notably linked to the loss of a loved one or a pet. However, Merriam-Webster defines grief as “deep and poignant distress” and “a cause of such suffering.” A deep suffering can therefore also be categorized as one of the many types of grief. No matter what the source of your grieving, grief counseling can help.
Reasons for Grief
As all humans are different, so are the perspectives of each individual. What might be the source of distress or suffering for one might not necessarily be the case for your friend, your neighbor, or even a family member. Triggers for grief other than death include things like divorce, moving to a new city or state away from friends and loved ones, the loss of a job, a change in relationship or friendship, and changes in your health. As such, there are many types of grief you may suffer in your life.
Types of Grief
You might find it surprising that there are 14 types of grief. We will briefly touch on them below:
- Abbreviated – Simply put, grief that doesn’t last as long as one would expect.
- Absent – When you don’t see someone showing signs of grief.
- Anticipatory – Knowing that impending loss is going to happen.
- Chronic – Long-lasting grief.
- Collective – Grief experienced by a group of people. For example, when Princess Diana died, it affected the entire world.
- Complicated – Long-term grief that affects day-to-day activities.
- Cumulative – Multiple losses within a short period of time.
- Delayed – When there is a period of time after the loss before grief appears.
- Disenfranchised – When there is no acknowledgement for the loss of your loved one.
- Distorted – Extreme reaction accompanied often by anger or guilt.
- Exaggerated – Grief reaction that leads to self-destructive behavior.
- Inhibited – “Stuffing” your grief.
- Masked – When physical symptoms occur in the place of mourning.
- Normal – Dissipating reactions such as crying and sadness.
If you or a loved one fall into any of the above types of grief, grief counseling might be just what you need.
Compassionate Counselors at Garrett
Grief counseling is available to you at any of our three locations, Jacksonville, Huntsville, or Albertville / Boaz. For your safety and convenience, we also offer video counseling online. Click here to reach us online, or call us at (256) 239-5662. Let our compassionate counselors at Garrett walk through the grieving process or help you learn to cope with your loss. Start your healing today.