We hear a lot about ADHD behavioral therapy for children, however, not much is ever said about managing your ADHD as an adult. Although symptoms may not be as easily recognized, adult ADHD is common and treatable.
The most commonly prescribed medications for ADHD are stimulants, although not exclusively. Other medications such as an anti-depressant may be helpful. Or maybe you prefer natural or holistic medications. Whatever your preference, it is important to talk to your doctor about all of your options, side effects, efficacy, and dosage. It usually takes some time for the full effect of medication to be realized, so keep in mind there might be some trial and error to find the medication that’s right for you.
Believe it or not, there are a few sports that have been shown to help with adult ADHD symptoms. Although they might not be appealing, don’t knock it until you try it. Let’s take a look.
- Martial arts – Benefits include controlled breathing which can reduce stress and anxiety.
- Swimming – This activity boosts dopamine, which is a mood-boosting chemical in our brain. Swimming also decreases inflammation which could help with difficulty focusing, a common ADHD symptom.
- Archery – Like martial arts, this activity takes a lot of focus and breath control which helps decrease stress levels.
ADHD therapy is also a helpful method of dealing with adult ADHD. Therapists can help in managing symptoms and providing coping strategies to help alleviate the intensity of symptoms. Some of the ADHD signs therapy can help you with include the following:
- Having a quick temper
- Being impulsive
- Trouble focusing on a task
- Poor time management
- Inability to multitask
- Unable to follow through or complete tasks
Garrett – Your Adult ADHD Professionals
If the signs listed above are interfering with your life, click here to request an appointment. Of course, we also offer ADHD counseling for children and teens! For quicker service, call (256) 239-5662. With virtual real-time appointments and in-person appointments available at our Jacksonville, Huntsville, and Boaz locations, start getting your adult ADHD under control today!