The Impacts and Effects of Adoption
Adoption is a wonderful thing! However, adoption can also bring challenges to a family. We want to provide families in Marshall County with resources that can help you navigate any challenges adoption may bring and prepare for a more smooth adjustment as you welcome your adoptee.
How Can A Counselor or Therapist Help With Adoption in Marshall County
Consulting a therapist or an adoption counselor can help you navigate challenges and process emotions surrounding the adoption process. Not only is this beneficial for the adoptee, it is beneficial for the family adopting as well. These benefits include:
- Helping the adoptee explore their identity and any confusion they might feel from their circumstances.
- Addressing questions surrounding adoption.
- Assisting in processing trauma, abuse, and the emotions surrounding life transitions.
- Working through behavioral concerns such as sadness, anxiety, anger, and confusion.
- Promoting healthy family relationships.
Garrett Counseling’s David L. Higgins, MA, LPC, says, “My wife and I are foster/adoptive parents. We fostered for over 10 years and adopted four officially and one unofficially. It was a challenging and rewarding experience. I definitely recommend adoption, family, and for the adopted child, individual counseling to support the adjustment to their forever home. These kids have varying backgrounds and require unconditional love, structure, stability, and security. Seeking professional counseling can greatly benefit the child and the adoptive family.”
Resources for Adoption in Marshall County
- Marshall County – Adoption in Alabama
- AdoptUSKids – Alabama Foster Care and Adoption Guidelines
- Marshall County Department of Human Services
- Adoption Services, Inc. – Adoption agencies and shelters in Alabama by county, assistance programs, financial and medical assistance, support groups, etc.
- Children’s Aid Society of Alabama – Provides adoption assistance resources, training, and other support for foster/adoptive parents.
- Heart Gallery Alabama – A resource for children eligible for adoption in Alabama.
- Guntersville, Alabama Child Support & Enforcement Office Information:
1925 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL 35976
- Marshall County Health Department WIC Office
150 Judy Smith Dr., Guntersville, AL 35976
Our hope is that this blog provides our Marshall County community with resources that can help with navigating the adoption process. If you are looking for a counselor to assist your family in the mental health aspects of adoption, Garrett Counseling has a team of counselors in Boaz ready to assist you. Contact us today at (256) 239-5662 or by clicking here to get started.