Career Counseling can assist you in finding a fulfilling career, support you in your current professional role, or help you develop skills for a desired promotion.
Who Is Career Counseling For?
While career counseling can be beneficial to anyone starting or seeking to grow their professional career, there are a few groups that it can be especially helpful for. These groups include:
- Rising High School Juniors & Seniors
- College Students
- Second Career Adults
What Does A Career Counseling Session Consist Of?
Career counseling is typically done as an individual counseling session between you and your counselor. Your counselor will work with you to determine your professional goals, concerns, and what you are looking to get out of the counseling experience. Counseling sessions are unique to each person, but typically sessions will include some or all of the following elements:
- Self-Exploration: Career Counseling gives the client a space to identify and develop skills, interests, personality traits, strengths and weaknesses, and other topics beneficial to a successful career.
- Career Assessment: Counselors have a variety of assessments to gain insight into a client’s potential career trajectories and perception of relationships and the impact that has on a career. These assessments help individuals make informed career decisions.
- Goal Setting: Counseling can play a large role in setting practical, attainable goals. Counselors can also help their clients break down large goals into smaller, actionable steps.
- Education & Training: Counselors have access to a wide variety of information and resources to assist clients with career growth. Some of these resources might include training programs and certificates, IQ and personality assessments, and financial aid programs.
- Job Search Strategies: Career Counseling can provide valuable assistance to those searching for employment opportunities. Counselors can offer guidance, assistance with resumes and networking strategies, and advice for optimizing online presence.
- Career Transitions: For clients considering a change in their career path, working with a counselor can be beneficial for evaluating the practicality of the transition, exploring potential obstacles, and creating a plan to navigate the transition.
- Overcoming Challenges: Finally, counseling is a space to work through concerns and challenges clients are facing in their careers. Counselors can help clients with stress management, low self-esteem, resiliency, and more.
Hear From The Garrett Counseling Team
“It is not uncommon for adults to face a variety of barriers in their career progression, including fear of change (change to a new career or just a new job location), lack of confidence, or external challenges. Career counseling can provide additional support to help adults cope with the stress and learn new coping skills to make the career changes they desire.” – Dr. Ashley Garrett, Ph.D., LPCS
“When we look at the reason teenagers choose a particular career path, we see decisions being made because it aligns with the family’s own pathway, fulfilling a fantasy, the culture, or a gender role belief. So many times, a person spends years in a career role that leads to dissatisfaction and remorse for ‘wasted years’. Not many people know that age 50 is the most common age of career change in the US, in other words saying enough is enough. We are fortunate to be in a time when happiness in the workplace is available through evidenced based assessments and guidance by counselors trained to help individuals use their own unique personality, skills, interests, and even desires for how to spend leisure time to find the type of work, work environment, and workplace relationships that will be positive and exciting.” – Ginger Caudell, LPC
Garrett Counseling’s Career Counseling Package
We offer a Career Counseling Package at all of our locations – Albertville, Huntsville, Jacksonville, & Jasper – and online. The package is $600 for 6 hours of counseling sessions. The hours may be completed in 6 1-hour sessions or 3 2-hour sessions.
Discover the potential your professional journey can bring with counseling. Contact our office at (256) 239-5662 for more information.