Choosing a counselor is a very personal decision. You are making a choice to open yourself up to a total stranger. Putting your emotional and mental health in the hands of another is not something to take lightly. When choosing a counselor, there are several factors to consider.
- Get referrals – Ask family, friends, and other healthcare providers.
- Research credentials – Healthgrades.com is a great site for researching information on your potential counselor.
- Gender – Maybe as a result of circumstances in your past you may be more comfortable with one gender over the other.
- Are you comfortable with your counselor? Schedule an interview and feel them out. How do they respond to you? Do you feel like they understand you?
- Read patient reviews – Although perspectives differ, you can get a good idea of the overall experiences others have had.
- Insurance coverage – Does your insurance cover the counselor you’re considering, or will you have to pay out of pocket for their services?
- The counselor’s experience – Does the counselor you’re considering have experience in the area of your concern? The more experience a counselor has, the more relatable you may feel they are, and the end result may be more successful.
If you are looking for a counseling center in Huntsville, Jacksonville or Albertville / Boaz, look no further! Opening up to a stranger takes courage and trust. We understand how challenging that can be and how important it is to feel connected with your counselor. As a counseling center in Huntsville, we have many compassionate therapists. If you don’t connect with your first one, we can help you in choosing the right counselor for your needs. Call Garrett Counseling for an appointment in any of our locations at (256) 239-5662, or fill out our contact form. All of your information is 100 percent confidential.