As your parents age, they will begin to experience more loss, health diagnoses, and changes in life that can lead to feelings of sadness, worry, and depression. If you have noticed changes in the overall behavior of your elderly parent, it may be time to seek out a local therapist for depression treatment in Huntsville, AL.
Why Seek Depression Treatment in Huntsville, AL
Depression in the elderly is something local therapists deal with on a regular basis. The good news is that counseling for depression can help your mom or dad through their aging process and get to the root of their unhappiness. Some of the more common occurrences that take place leading to these unwanted feelings include the following:
- Retirement – Although a very exciting time, retirement is a huge life change. Going to work every day and having responsibilities gives an individual a feeling of purpose. When that routine is suddenly gone, it can leave a void that your mom or dad may find difficult to fill. Finding a new purpose can be challenging and a real struggle for some.
- Health issues – With age typically comes the need to alter how daily activities are performed. A once strong and independent person might find they need assistance for more laborious tasks. For most, asking for help or needing to rely on someone else to help is not an easy pill to swallow. Your elderly parent may feel guilty for bothering you when they need help and also feel helpless.
- Grief – The cycle of life unfortunately includes the loss of loved ones. The older we get, the more loss we will experience.
What Should I Say?
Communication is key. This is a cliche statement that can be used in pretty much any situation. Particularly important is the way you approach your elderly parent about counseling. They are already in a mentally fragile state, and you may be wondering how to bring up the subject of counseling for depression in a manner where they would be receptive. Here are a few pointers.
- Include other family members.
- Discuss topics of life transitions and aging sooner early in the conversation. Explain that depression and loneliness are normal but there is treatment.
- Empathize with their feelings. Imagine how you would feel if your child told you that they think you need counseling.
- Include them in the process of finding a counselor. If you can help them with a list of local therapists who are on their insurance, provide that as well as information about each. It’s their therapy, they should choose their counselor.
Compassionate and Skilled Geriatric Counseling Center
If you think your parent needs counseling for depression or something else, talk to them. Call Garrett Counseling for depression treatment in Huntsville, AL, choose Garrett Counseling. Our professional team prides themselves in the compassion and expertise your loved one deserves. Call us today at (256) 239-5662, or click here to send a message.