Garrett Counseling provides counseling for teens at our offices in Albertville, Huntsville, Jacksonville, and Jasper, as well as online options. If you are trying to determine if counseling could be beneficial for your teen, we hope to offer helpful information below.
How Teen Counseling Can Benefit Your Teen
Working with a therapist can be beneficial for teens experiencing many concerns, including:
- Divorce of Parents
- Family Conflicts
- School Concerns
- Self Esteem
- Trauma / PTSD
*Our team can coordinate with school systems and community agencies (including Alabama Department of Human Resources) as needed.
Why Choose Garrett Counseling For Your Teen
Our counselors are trained to provide compassionate mental health care to clients aged 13-19. We recognize that there are times when teens prefer nonverbal communication, so many of our therapists will utilize play therapy in their sessions. Our team is passionate about the benefits of play therapy; because of this passion, all counselors on the Garrett Counseling team are Level II trained in Sandtray for working with children.
Garrett Counseling is an AutPlay Certified provider. With this certification, we are uniquely trained in working with neurodivergent teens and their families. Our team also has extensive ongoing education in the area of ADHD. This speciality has allowed our team to provide extensive assessments of ADHD in children and adults.
Teen counseling methods our team might incorporate include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is commonly used to support teens who are experiencing depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and eating disorders.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT): Dialectical Behavioral Therapy combines several therapeutic practices, and it is especially beneficial for teens who are having a difficult time processing strong emotions.
- Motivational Interviewing: Motivational Interviewing is meant to motivate the client to change destructive behaviors and is a great tool for teens who are in a resistant stage.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR): EMDR can be beneficial for teenagers facing many concerns. It is most commonly used when working with teens who are experiencing negative beliefs or have experienced trauma.
- Play Therapy: Play Therapy is often used for teens experiencing behavioral problems, anxiety, depression, trauma, and more.
- Client Centered Play Therapy: Teens facing social, emotional, behavioral and relational disorders may especially benefit from Client Centered Play Therapy.
- Sandplay Therapy (All counselors at Garrett Counseling are trained at Level Two Sandtray for working with children): Sandtray Therapy can be helpful for teens who have experienced trauma, as well as those with depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns.
Get Started Today
Being a teen comes with challenges. Parenting a teen comes with challenges. Counseling can be a beneficial tool to help teens and their parents navigate these challenges. Contact us today at (256) 239-5662 to learn more about teen counseling at Garrett Counseling!