Body dysmorphia is defined by Mayo Clinic as “a mental health disorder in which you can’t stop thinking about one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance — a flaw that appears minor or can’t be seen by others. But you may feel so embarrassed, ashamed and anxious that you may avoid many social situations.” Most often occurring in teens and young adults. However, treatment through teen or young adult counseling is effective.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of body dysmorphia can include the following:
- Extreme preoccupation with a perceived imperfection in your appearance that cannot be seen by anyone but you
- Using clothing, makeup or even cosmetic surgery to cover up or rid yourself of said flaw
- Frequently comparing yourself with how others look
- Constantly needing reassurance from others about your appearance
- Tendency to perfection
- Believing that this imperfection makes you ugly
- Feeling deformed
- Believing that other people make fun of you or see you negatively
- Avoiding social gatherings because of how you view yourself
How Young Adult Counseling Can Help
Counseling helps an individual change their perspective. Through this method of treatment, someone struggling with body dysmorphia can learn how to view themselves as they really are and not through the skewed lens of a mental disorder. Young adult counseling is also a much less costly choice than cosmetic procedures. Additionally, therapy can give you skills to carry through your lifetime enhancing the value of your life unlike cosmetic procedures which are a temporary fix and may or may not have the desired outcome.
Contact Garrett Center for Counseling in Jacksonville
If you or someone you love suffers from body dysmorphia, we can help. Whether they need teen or young adult counseling or even adult counseling, Garrett has the experienced professionals to work with individuals of any age. We have three convenient locations, Huntsville, Boaz, and Jacksonville, and also provide real-time video appointments online. Contact us by clicking here, or for faster service, call us at (256) 239-5662 today.