Why You Should Drink More Water (& Some Tips To Help You)
Water has many benefits for us, and most of us probably aren’t drinking enough! In this blog, we will share a few reasons why you should be drinking more water and a few tips to help you increase your water consumption.
Why Water Is So Important
Healthier Skin – Water helps moisturize skin, decrease wrinkles, and renew cells and tissues. All of these benefits lead to healthier, glowing skin. Drinking water is one of the best anti-aging treatments you can do (plus it’s free!).
Improved Mood and Focus – Even mild dehydration has a negative effect on our brain. Staying hydrated throughout the day will lead to a better mood, make you more alert, and improve your concentration!
Headache Relief – Most headaches are caused by dehydration. Not only will drinking water help relieve headache pain, staying hydrated may prevent additional headaches!
Better Movement – Drinking water helps to lubricate joints which prevents muscle cramps and joint pain. Whether you are playing with your kids or hitting the gym, being well hydrated will help you be active longer!
Weight Loss – Water helps decrease appetite and boost metabolism. Some studies have even shown that people who drink a glass of water before mealtime saw an increase in weight loss over time!
Fewer Toxins – Water helps remove toxins from the body through sweat and urination. Fewer toxins reduces the risk of conditions like kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
Tips To Increase Your Water Consumption
Now that we have seen the benefits of drinking water, let’s take a look at some tips to help you stay hydrated!
Start Small – Set small goals at the beginning. The feeling you get when you reach your goals will help you stay motivated to keep going! Track your goals with an app on your phone or on a notebook you keep with you. A few examples of a “small goal” include:
- Commit to drinking one additional glass of water each day
- Drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee you drink
- Swap soda for water one time each day
Create Reminders – Create a few reminders that you will see as you go about your day. This will help you stay on track even when your day gets busy. A few examples are:
- Buy a reusable water bottle that you can keep with you during the day (you could even make lines on the bottle to show you how much to drink each hour)
- Make a post-it note to keep on your desk or computer – it could say “hydrate” or “remember your water”
- Set a reminder or alarm on your phone to go off a few times during the day
Make It Fun – The more fun you have achieving your goals, the more likely you are to stick with it! A few ideas to make drinking water more fun are:
- Create a challenge with your coworkers or family – agree on a prize that the person who drinks the most water by the end of the day (or week) will win!
- Play a “drinking game” – drink a few sips of water each time the tv show your watching has a commercial break, every time you check social media, etc.
- Add some flavor – use fresh fruit, vegetables, or herbs to add flavor naturally