What Are The Consequences of Stress and Fatigue in Law Enforcement?
At Garrett Counseling, we know that law enforcement officers endure a great deal of stress due to their jobs. Often, the public only hears a small portion of what these officers and their families endure. We wrote a series of blogs to both help the public understand the stress law enforcement officers face and to help those in law enforcement with the effects of stress. In blog two, our goal is to focus on the consequences of stress and fatigue in law enforcement. (Check out blog one about what causes stress in law enforcement here.)
What Are The Consequences of Stress in Law Enforcement?
The consequences of stress can be very significant. Some common side effects of stress in law enforcement include:
- Cynicism and/or Suspiciousness
- Emotional Detachment From Various Aspects Of Life (Including family, friends, & self)
- Reduced Efficiency
- Early Retirement
- Excessive Aggressiveness (Sometimes leading to citizen complaints)
- Alcoholism or Other Substance Use Problems
- Marital/Family Problems (Examples include extramarital affairs, divorce, or domestic abuse)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Physical Conditions (Examples include heart attacks, ulcers, or weight gain)
What Are The Consequences of Fatigue in Law Enforcement?
Sleep, or lack thereof, has a major effect on everyone, but especially law enforcement. The following consequences may occur:
- Increased Mood Swings, Depression, Anxiety, and Hypervigilance
- Decrease In Judgment and Hand-Eye Coordination
- Lack of Routine Sleep (Could lead to sleep disorders, slow reaction time, and other health concerns)
At Garrett Counseling, our mental health counselors in Huntsville, AL and our other locations have experience working with those in law enforcement. If we can help you with the consequences of stress and fatigue in law enforcement, contact us today at (256) 239-5662 or online.
This blog was written by Kristin Hurst, a mental health counselor at Garrett Counseling in Jacksonville, AL. Learn more about Kristin here.